Commonly asked questions about Sepsis:
- How does Bair Hugger warming blankets work?
- What is Sepsis?
- What are symptoms of Sepsis?
- What are the risks of septic shock?
- What are the Criteria for Filing a Bair Hugger Lawsuit?
- Can I file a Bair Hugger warming blanket lawsuit?
- Our no-fee promise on Bair Hugger warming blanket cases
- How do I start a Bair Hugger warming blanket claim?
How Does Bair Hugger Warming Blankets Work?
Sepsis is a dangerous complication that can occur as a result of the body attempting to fight off an infection. It has recently been reported as a potential complication of the Bair Hugger warming blankets.
These medical blankets are used during surgery for patients undergoing knee and hip replacement procedures.
They are designed to prevent hypothermia during surgery, however these blankets are believed to be causing serious infection in some individuals. It is believed that the forced air warming blankets can cause contaminated air from the floor of the operating room to reach open surgical areas, causing infection.
What Is Sepsis?
Sepsis is a potentially life-threatening reaction that occurs when the body attempts to fight an infection. The condition occurs when certain chemicals are released into the bloodstream to help fight an infection that has been contracted.
These chemicals cause inflammation throughout the body. If not treated quickly, it can cause organ failure, as well as drastic drops in blood pressure, which can lead to death. It is most commonly found in older adults, or those who have weakened immune systems; however it can occur in any patient. Antibiotics are used to treat the reaction.
What Are Symptoms Of Sepsis?
- In order to be diagnosed, doctors look for the following conditions to be true.
- Body temperature above 101.0°F (38.3°C) or below 96.8°F (36°C)
- Heart rate higher than 90 beats per minute
- Respiratory rate higher than 20 breaths per minute
- Probable or confirmed infection in the body
What Are The Risks of Septic Shock?
Septic shock occurs when the body’s blood pressure drops drastically. This can lead to death in a patient if not treated properly. Patients at risk of septic shock may feel but are not limited to:
- abrupt changes in mental status
- abnormal heart pumping function
- abdominal pain
- trouble breathing
- decreased urine output.
It is important to contact a medical professional immediately if you believe you are at risk of septic shock.
What are the Criteria for Filing a Bair Hugger Lawsuit?
The 3M Bair Hugger is a force hot air warming blanket, used primarily to help maintain a patient’s body temperature during surgery. The 3M Bair Hugger pushes warm air through a flexible hose into a blanket draped over a patient.
However, warming blankets can recirculate contaminated air over a patient’s body, including over an open surgical site. This may result in infections like MRSA or sepsis.
In particular, patients undergoing knee or hip replacement surgery are at risk of infections deep in the joint, which is very difficult to treat.
Complications from these infections include hospitalization, implant revision surgery, limited mobility, permanent disability, amputation and death.
To file a Bair Hugger Lawsuit, the following criteria must be met:
- Underwent total hip or total knee replacement
- Surgery occurred after September 9, 2010
- Infection occurred within one year of the hip or knee replacement
- Infection was so severe that it resulted in the eventual removal of the initial hip or knee replacement device
Can I File A Bair Hugger Warming Blanket Lawsuit?
Our dangerous device attorneys can help if you or someone you care about was harmed by a Bair Hugger warming blanket. Lawsuits have been filed against the device makers by both patients and their families seeking compensation for injuries caused. You may be entitled to a settlement. We do not charge any legal fees unless you receive a settlement and we pay all of the case costs. If your claim is not successful for any reason, you do not owe us anything. We put it all in writing for you. Our lawyers will help you file your lawsuit.
Our No-Fee Promise on Bair Hugger Warming Blanket Cases
You can afford to have our great team of lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started
- We pay all case costs and expenses
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls are always free.
How Do I Start A Bair Hugger Warming Blanket Claim?
Our Bair Hugger warming blanket lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-3417 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing Bair Hugger warming blanket lawsuit claims.