Routinely ranked as one of the highest grossing over-the-counter digestive medications with annual sales of nearly $92 million in the United States, Prevacid (Lansoprazole) is taken by thousands of consumers each year to combat the symptoms of acid reflux – heartburn.
Developed by Takeda Pharmaceutic and approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 1995, the drug is designated as a member of the proton pump inhibitor (PPI) drug class. Although popular, the PPI drug class has become the subject of controversy over the previous two years as studies have indicated that the class may be responsible for the development of life threatening kidney complications.
Publications detailing risks of PPI use have become to prevalent that many medical professionals now only recommend PPIs as a last resort option for their patients. Untfail otherwise informed, medical professionals now overwhelmingly feel that is is safer to recommend H2 blockers than a PPI drug.
Situations in which PPIs are designed to treat include the following:
|Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease||Acid Peptic Disease|
|Peptic or Stomach Ulcers||Acid Reflux|
What Information Should All Prevacid Users Know For A Potential Lawsuit?
Since being brought to the U.S. market in the early 1990’s, PPIs have been the subject of various medical studies that have sought to determine if the drugs carried any unknown health risks to consumers.
As these studies progressed and began being published, drugs like Prevacid were connected to heightened levels of kidney complication development.
With a safer alternative available to consumers, the heightened risk posed by PPI drugs are now being viewed as an unnecessary one. The most common alternative that does not pose the same risk as PPIs are H2 blockers.
Regarding recent legal happenings, Prevacid lawsuits have yet to achieve the notoriety or size that Nexium or Prilosec lawsuits have – most likely due to it’s status as an over-the-counter drug.
While Prevacid may not be receiving the same legal attention as other prescription-based PPI drugs, a lawsuit filed against the FDA by Public Citizen has led to more FDA attention directed to all PPI drugs.
The lawsuit alleged that the FDA failed to take appropriate action to protect consumers from PPI drugs. In response, the FDA began taking a more active role in PPI warnings and launched an investigation to determine the validiaity of the health claims be levied against Prevacid and other PPI drugs.
How Do I Find Out If I Am Eligible To File A Prevacid Drug Lawsuit?
As more research and information regarding the dangers of Prevacid have been introduced to the public in recent years, hundreds of victims are starting to become aware that their health conditions developed due to Prevacid use.
With awareness growing consumers are filing lawsuits against Takeda Pharmaceuticals in large numbers to win justice and compensation for Prevacid related damages.
In response to the wave of consumers seeking legal paths against Takeda, legal firms are now accepting cases against the pharmaceutical giant .
However, in order to pursue any legal action that may lead to a lawsuit, a potential plaintiff must meet the following points of criteria:
- Patient must be taking Prevacid for acid reflux
- Patient must have a diagnosis of interstitial nephritis or kidney injury (chronic or acute)
- Alleged Prevacid health complication(s) must have occurred within the relevant state deadlines
Once an attorney has been contacted, they will be able to determine the validity of your claim by launching an investigation into all relevant medical records, to be conducted by an expert medical team.
If the investigation determines that an individual meets the necessary criteria, an attorney will work to move the legal process forward. In addition to a medical investigation, an individual’s situation must also coincide with the necessary state drug lawsuit deadlines.
These deadlines are the most common reason an approved client is unable to file a lawsuit against a drug company.
In the event that all deadlines are met in a timely fashion, your legal team will do further research to ensure that once filed your lawsuit will represent a strong claim against Takeda.
Once your legal team has executed enough research, you will be eligible to pursue all appropriate legal action in an attempt to secure a future monetary settlement.
Lawsuits of this nature most often base themselves on one or more of the following allegations brought against Takeda Pharmaceuticals:
- Failed to warn the public of the risks associated with taking Prevacid
- Failed to properly test Prevacid for dangerous kidney complications
- Withheld research data from the public about Prevacid dangers
- Sold Prevacid even though they knew it could be dangerous
- Manufactured and sold an unsafe heartburn medication
The most effective way to maximize your ability to win a monetary settlement in a Prevacid lawsuit is to begin the legal process as soon as possible.
It is highly recommended that you contact one of our dangerous drug attorneys today for a free consultation and case review as you begin the legal process.
What Are The Top 5 Reasons To File A Prevacid Lawsuit?
Although Prevacid and other dangerous drugs lead to severe health complications in thousands of patients each year, an exceptional number of those victims will never come forward to pursue legal action. Other times when a victim finally comes forward, they do so only to discover that they have missed one of their state deadlines and are no longer eligible to file a lawsuit.
This reluctance to promptly file a lawsuit leads to thousands of victims left to suffer from their health complications without being financially compensated in a manner that allows them to properly focus on their recovery. In an attempt to increase consumer awareness of why victims should file lawsuits, our legal network has comprised a list of reasons why victims should always promptly come froward.
The following list was created after discussing with our clients, why hundreds of victims each year fail to pursue legal action against a neglectful pharmaceutical company.
1. No-Fee Guarantee: Victims often express concern that pursuing legal action will lead to them experiencing further financial ruin due to expensive legal fees. To quell that fear, we offer all clients our written No-Fee guarantee. This guarantee promises to our clients that they will not be charged any fee whatsoever until they secure a financial settlement.
2. Mounting Medical Expenses: Those who suffer from Prevacid kidney complications often accumulate substantial medical expenses for treatment and hospital stays among other requirements. A successful dangerous drug lawsuit can work to offset these substantial costs.
3. Experienced Pain & Suffering: Victims of Prevacid health related complications typically experience physical pain from their ailments in addition to some forms of invasive treatments. Additionally, these ailments also trigger mental and emotional suffering as an individual must alter their lifestyle due to newfound limitations.
4. Prevalence Of Medical Studies: Unfortunately, some dangerous drugs are not studied enough to allow victims to create strong cases based on medical research. However, because of the popularity of PPIs there is a bevy of medical information available to the public. These studies – which backup claims of kidney relate complications – offer future lawsuits an immediate base of credibility to utilize.
5. Wrongful Death: Kidney complications can often develop into life-threatening conditions that if left untreated, may result in a victims death. When this occurs, the surviving estate members may choose to pursue legal action against the pharmaceutical company in an attempt to acquire compensation for loss of companionship, loss of income, and the pain & suffering of the individual who passed.
Our Prevacid Kidney Injury Lawyers Can Help You
Our dangerous prescription and over-the-counter drug lawyers can help you if you or someone you love has been diagnosed with serious kidney complications after taking Prevacid. Lawsuits are expected to be filed against the makers of this medication. You may be entitled to a Prevacid settlement.
Our No-Fee Promise on Prevacid Cases
You can afford to have our great team of Prevacid lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started
- We pay all case costs and expenses
- No legal fees unless you receive a Prevacid settlement
- Phone calls are always free
Start Your Prevacid Claim
Our Prevacid lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-3417 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing Prevacid lawsuit claims.