A popular prescription drug that was predesignated as an over-the-counter (OTC) drug once it’s patent expired, Prilosec (Omeprazole) is a member of the proton pump inhibitor family designed to combat the symptoms of acid reflux disease – also known as heartburn.
Although an effective drug, the past decade has seen Prilosec and manufacturer AstraZeneca embroiled in controversy surrounding the status and handling of the drug and it’s prescription successor, Nexium. The original controversy was focused on the lack of difference between Nexium and Prilosec, as the former was touted as a more effective drug option leading thousands paying more for what was later discovered to be a drug of the same efficacy.
Later, Prilosec and all other PPI’s became the focus of medical scrutiny as it was discovered that the drug class was likely responsible for elevated rates of kidney complications when compared to non-users.
While the complications are dangerous to consumers, medical professionals across the country – albeit in diminishing numbers – still recommend Prilosec and other PPI drugs for the following:
|Acid Reflux||Acid Peptic Disease|
|Peptic or Stomach Ulcers||Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease|
What Information Should All Prilosec Users Know For A Potential Lawsuit?
In the past decade, allegations that Prilosec may increase an individuals risk of kidney complications has become more common, as for all PPI drugs.
However, AstraZeneca has faced the most scrutiny due to their handling of two extremely popular drugs – Nexium and Prilosec.
The first major allegations were levied in 2011 and have continued with newly published reports in the present with total AstraZeneca settlement payouts totaling $27.9 million.
These lawsuits led to consumers becoming aware that AstraZeneca may have been negligent in their handling of their PPI drugs. With this heightened awareness, many have begun to come forward by filing lawsuits against the company.
Third party organizations have also come to the assistance of consumers, most notably a non-profit group called Public Citizen who filed a lawsuit against the FDA for failing to take appropriate consumer protection actions.
With lawsuits mounting and outside organizations coming to the defense of consumers, it is recommended that victims pursue legal action as promptly as possible.
How Do I Find Out If I Am Eligible To File A Prilosec Drug Lawsuit?
Prilosec is taken by thousands of individuals each year, meaning thousands are unknowingly exposed to the dangers of Prilosec kidney complications and other serious health effects.
With awareness of these side effects reaching an all-time high, there has been a significant increase in lawsuit inquiries regarding claims against AstraZeneca.
In response to these inquiries, legal firms are now accepting cases against AstraZeneca, but only on behalf of those who have a valid claim.
To meet the initial standards constituting a valid claim, you must meet the following set of criteria:
- Patient must be taking Prilosec for acid reflux
- Patient must have a diagnosis of interstitial nephritis or kidney injury (chronic or acute)
- Alleged Prilosec health complication(s) must have occurred within the relevant state deadlines
If you meet these points of criteria, an attorney will be able to assist you in further determining the validity of your claim.
Confirmation of a cases validation is achieved by executing a thorough medical examination of all relevant victim medical records. This examination must be done by a team of highly-skilled medical professionals working with your attorney.
If an examination is able to conclude that all medical happenings and deadlines are sufficiently met, an individual will be able to move forward with the appropriate legal action.
In moving forward with legal action, your attorney will begin bolstering your claim in an attempt to make it as strong as possible.
Once legal action is being pursued, you and your attorney will likely choose to cite one of the following allegations as the basis of your lawsuit:
- Failed to warn the public of the risks associated with taking Nexium
- Failed to properly test Nexium for dangerous kidney complications
- Withheld research data from the public about Nexium dangers
- Sold Nexium even though they knew it could be dangerous
- Manufactured and sold an unsafe heartburn medication
Beginning your legal process as soon as possible is vital to ensuring lawsuit success, as is choosing representation that can effectively advance your case against AstraZeneca.
It is suggested that you contact an attorney today to begin a case review and preliminary legal steps.
What Are The Top 5 Reasons For Filing A Prilosec Kidney Complication Lawsuit?
Lawsuits are often emotionally and financially taxing for the victims pursuing justice. Because of this, many victims often refrain from pursuing legal action in fear of incurring additional damage from a failed or prolonged legal battle.
Each year hundreds of victims fail to win the justice they deserve, but our legal network has worked to remedy all the fears victims may have regarding dangerous drug lawsuits.
In offering the top five reasons for filing a Prilosec lawsuit, our attorneys hope that victims’ fears will be quelled.
1. No-Fee Guarantee: A fear of facing expensive attorney fees and costs is often cited as the number one reason victims refuse to come forward against a neglectful pharmaceutical company. To sooth this fear, our legal team guarantees all of our clients in writing that they will not be billed any legal costs or fees unless they secure a financial settlement.
2. Wrongful Death: If left untreated, Prilosec kidney complications can result in the death of an individual. In the event that death occurs, the surviving estate members may file a lawsuit to recover a monetary settlement to provide compensation for the financial loss of the family member in addition to the pain & suffering of all involved.
3. Medical Expenses: Oftentimes those combating Prilosec kidney complications are subjected to lengthy hospital stays and extensive medical treatments. This often incurs significant financial burden on the victim as medical costs can quickly increase to a financial debilitating level. Securing a financial settlement can offset medical costs and restore former financial stability.
4. Pain & Suffering: Those who suffer from Prilosec kidney complications are often subjected to immense mental and physical suffering. This pain and suffering stems from their need to combat the physical trauma of their complication while dealing with the emotion and stress that comes with their battle. A financial settlement may not remedy pain and suffering but it does provide victims with the resources needed to focus on their recovery.
5. Lost Wages: Victims often must miss work while they undergo treatment and recovery for their Prilosec kidney complication. In missing work, the victim and their families lose a main source of income that they may have relied on. By pursuing a lawsuit, a victim may be able to secure a settlement that compensates them for all wages lost due to Prilosec kidney complication related activities.
Our Prilosec Kidney Injury Lawyers Can Help You
Our dangerous prescription and over-the-counter drug lawyers can help you if you or someone you love has been diagnosed with serious kidney complications after taking Prilosec. Lawsuits are expected to be filed against the makers of this medication. You may be entitled to a Prilosec settlement.
Our No-Fee Promise on Prilosec Cases
You can afford to have our great team of Prilosec lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started
- We pay all case costs and expenses
- No legal fees unless you receive a Nexium settlement
- Phone calls are always free
Start Your Prilosec Claim
Our Prilosec lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-3417 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing Prilosec lawsuit claims.