The tired and weak feeling that Lipitor patients often report may be a sign of a degenerative and life-threatening condition.
Early signs of rhabdomyolysis include pain and weakness in the upper arms and shoulders, as well as the calves, thighs, and lower back. Later, as muscles die and enter the bloodstream, this weakness increases and most patients start to see dark or cloudy urine. Then, the foreign substances in the bloodstream cause the person’s urine to become so concentrated that the kidney can no longer process it, causing permanent kidney failure.
There is no known cure for rhabdomyolysis, although there are some treatments that may relieve the symptoms.
Like other statins, Lipitor suppresses the liver enzyme HMG-CoA which researchers believe is responsible for about 80 percent of the body’s cholesterol. The first statins were developed in Japan in 1971.
In suppressing the liver enzyme, Lipitor also suppresses insulin production. In fact, as early as 2012, the Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about the link between statins and Type 2 Diabetes.
Other serious Lipitor side-effects include:
- Dizziness: As blood sugar levels are forced out of balance, many people report feeling lightheaded or faint, making it difficult to drive a car or perform other everyday tasks.
- Muscle Weakness: The body sometimes compensates for blood sugar loss by siphoning energy from the muscles and transferring it to internal organs.
- Serious Skin Irritation: This condition normally results from an allergic reaction to the statin.
- Mental Effects: Lipitor is a powerful drug that often causes depression, nightmares, paranoia, and other symptoms.
Cases involving Lipitor and other dangerous drugs are often referred to a multi-district litigation unit (MDL) in a federal court, where plaintiffs have the opportunity to pool their resources and thus increase individual compensation. Moreover, in MDL actions, manufacturers are often anxious to settle cases, which means more plaintiff-friendly terms.
Our Lipitor Attorneys Can Help
Our dangerous drug lawyers help if you or someone you care about was harmed while taking this medication. Lawsuits have been filed against the manufacturer by both patients and their families seeking compensation for injuries caused by the dangerous drug. You may be entitled to a cash settlement.
Our No Fee Promise in Dangerous Drug Cases
You can afford to have our great team of lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started,
- We pay all case costs and expenses,
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement, and
- Phone calls are always free.
Start Your Liability Claim
Our dangerous drug lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the “Free Case Review Box” on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-4722 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have a claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing dangerous drug claims.