NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — Researchers with strong ties to Johnson & Johnson recently announced that Invokana was a marginally effective antidiabetic drug.
According to Australian Dr. Gregory Fulcher and his colleagues, patients in a clinical trial who took canagliflozin reduced their HbA1c levels by a mere 7 percent over patients who received placebos. This result was achieved when the patients combined Invokana with a regimen that included DPP-IV inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists, suggesting that Invokana alone may have an even more negligible effect. Common side-effects included severe dizziness, genital mycotic infections, postural hypotension, and urinary tract infections.
Dr. Fulcher is a paid Johnson & Johnson consultant who also serves on several company advisory boards.
This powerful drug was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in March 2013. Invokana utilizes a synthetic sodium glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitor to essentially flush glucose out of the blood via the kidney. Only a year earlier, the FDA rejected a similar drug, on the grounds that it was unsafe; the agency approved Invokana only after the manufacturer promised to perform multiple safety studies.
At the same time it approved Invokana, the FDA warned of serious side-effects that accompany its use. These side-effects include:
- Dehydration: Invokana is a diuretic, so almost any exertive physical activity when taking the drug will cause dizziness or loss of consciousness.
- Yeast Infection: Both women and men are susceptible to this highly contagious, and highly painful, genital disease.
- Bladder Issues: Because Invokana forces the kidney to work overtime, severe abdominal pain and serious bladder infections are rather common.
- Mental Effects: Some patients report anxiety attacks, recurrent nightmares, serious confusion, and deep depression.
Other side-effects include seizures and long-term skin rashes; all these effects are generally even worse in adults over 65 and children under 18.
Compensation in a dangerous drug case typically include damages for both economic and noneconomic losses, in addition to very large punitive damages.
Our Invokana Attorneys Can Help
Our dangerous drug lawyers help if you or someone you care about was harmed while taking this medication. Lawsuits have been filed against the manufacturer by both patients and their families seeking compensation for injuries caused by the dangerous drug. You may be entitled to a cash settlement.
Our No Fee Promise in Dangerous Drug Cases
You can afford to have our great team of lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started,
- We pay all case costs and expenses,
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement, and
- Phone calls are always free.
Start Your Liability Claim
Our dangerous drug lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the “Free Case Review Box” on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-4722 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have a claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing dangerous drug claims.