SILVER SPRING, Md. — Doctors in India are using an innovative therapy that reportedly produces better results, and is widely viewed as less risky, than traditional knee replacement.
For older patients or those with pre-existing health conditions, mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) therapy is an attractive alternative.
The procedure uses concentrated platelets from the patient’s own blood. After gently extracting about 60 ml, and centrifuging it down to 10 ml, the blood is injected into the knee, where it regenerates the cells.
In most cases, the simple procedure takes about an hour and requires no overnight stay.
Dr. A.K. Venkatachalam, orthopedic surgeon at Guest Hospital, fully endorses the procedure, based on a body of foreign research that “prove[s] the efficacy of this novel stem cell procedure.”
The high demand for total knee arthroplasty (TKA) procedures has created a flood of devices, since manufacturers are eager to get a large share of a growing market. Unfortunately for victims, the Food and Drug Administration approves many of these devices via the fast-track 510(k) process.
If there is already a similar medicine or device on the market, the agency only gives new ones a cursory examination.
As a result, many knee replacement devices are either defectively designed or inadequately manufactured. Either fault often causes the device to separate from the bone, so doctors typically must perform painful and expensive revision surgery to correct the situation.
Other common side-effects include:
- Blood Clots: TKA surgery redirects blood flow in the leg’s deep veins, a condition known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT). To counter the negative effects of DVT, some doctors prescribe powerful anticoagulants, which often cause uncontrolled bleeding.
- Pulmonary Embolism: If the clot travels to the lungs, breathlessness and chest pains are often precursors of a fatal event.
- Wound Haematoma: When blood leaks and collects under the skin, it causes severe swelling. Certain common medications amplify this risk.
Largely because complications from knee replacement surgery often cause patients to lose whatever limited mobility they had left, damages in these cases are often substantial.
Our Knee Replacement Attorneys Can Help
Our defective medical device lawyers help if you or someone you care about was harmed while taking this medication. Lawsuits have been filed against the manufacturer by both patients and their families seeking compensation for injuries caused by the dangerous drug. You may be entitled to a cash settlement.
Our No-Fee Promise in Defective Medical Device Cases
You can afford to have our great team of lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started,
- We pay all case costs and expenses,
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement, and
- Phone calls are always free.
Start Your Liability Claim
Our defective medical device lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the “Free Case Review Box” on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-4722 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have a claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing defective medical device claims.