COLUMBIA, S.C. — The U.S. Supreme Court has declined to intervene in a dispute between the State of South Carolina and Risperdal maker Johnson & Johnson.
In 2007, South Carolina filed a complaint against Johnson & Johnson, alleging that Janssen, the company’s division responsible for the drug, marketed it in a deceptive manner.
Court documents focused on a 2003 letter that Janssen sent to prescribing physicians which, according to the suit, contained false information. After a jury heard the evidence, it ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $327 million.
A state appeals court later upheld the verdict but reduced the amount to $124 million, citing a state law that imposed a three-year statute of limitations in this area.
As a result of the Supreme Court’s inaction, the $124 million verdict stands, as does the jury’s finding of wrongdoing.
Risperdal Uses and Side-Effects
Risperdal is a powerful second generation antipsychotic (SGA) drug that manipulates serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain to improve mood and thinking. The Food and Drug Administration initially approved Risperdal as an anti-schizophrenia medicine; the agency later expanded the approved uses to include certain bipolar disorders and some aspects of autism.
Low risk side effects include fatigue, dizziness, and sexual dysfunction. More serious side effects include:
- Osteoporosis: Risperdal elevates prolactin levels, resulting in short-term sexual dysfunction. Long-term exposure makes bones very brittle.
- Muscle Disease: Many patients develop “tardive dyskinesia (TD) and extrapyramidal effects (EPS); both of these conditions cause uncontrollable muscle reactions, typically on the face.
- Transient Ischemic Attacks: TIA occurs in elderly dementia patients, and causes a high risk of strokes and heart attacks.
As is illustrated in the above case, punitive damage awards in dangerous drug cases are often substantial. In many cases, the manufacturers are aware of problems but conceal them from doctors and patients in a crass attempt to increase sales. Compensatory damages for economic and noneconomic losses are also available.
Our Risperdal Attorneys Can Help
Our dangerous drug lawyers can help if you or someone you care about was harmed while taking this medication.
Lawsuits have been filed against the manufacturer by both patients and their families seeking compensation for injuries caused by the dangerous drug. You may be entitled to a cash settlement.
Our No-Fee Promise in Dangerous Drug Cases
You can afford to have our great team of lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started,
- We pay all case costs and expenses,
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement, and
- Phone calls are always free.
Start Your Liability Claim
Our dangerous drug lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the “Free Case Review Box” on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-4722 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have a claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing dangerous drug claims.