Januvia & Janumet Complications: Pancreatitis
Commonly asked questions about Januvia and its link to pancreatitis:
- Can Januvia cause you to develop pancreatitis?
- What types of pancreatitis are there?
- Does the use of Januvia increase your risk of developing pancreatitis?
- What are the symptoms of pancreatitis?
- What severe side effects are associated with the use of Januvia?
- What are the less severe side effects associated with the use of Januvia?
- Can I file a Januvia pancreatitis lawsuit?
- Januvia pancreatitis lawyer review
Can Januvia Cause You To Develop Pancreatitis?
Another serious side-effect associated with the use of type 2 diabetes drugs such as Januvia and Janumet is pancreatitis.
This is a condition where the pancreas becomes inflamed. This is caused by enzymes attacking the pancreas and can be extremely painful. In some cases, it can be fatal if not treated in a timely manner. It can also lead to the development of pancreatic cancer.
What Types of Pancreatitis Are There?
Pancreatitis can appear in two different forms: acute and chronic. Both types are serious complications and both can be fatal if not identified and treated properly.
- Acute: This is a form that is marked by rapid onset. If treated in a timely manner, the pancreas will return to normal size and the swelling will subside within days.
- Chronic: This form does not normally heal or improve condition. The inflammation can become worse over time, and in some cases, cause serious damage.
Does The Use Of Januvia Increase Your Risk Of Developing Pancreatitis?
The FDA’s Adverse Reporting Event Syster (AERS) found 88 cases of pancreatitis between 2006 and 2009 associated with the use of sitagliptin (Januvia/Janumet). Out of these 88 reported cases 58 of them wound up with the affected persons being hospitalized, 4 of whom had to be admitted into the intensive care unit.
The most common adverse events that were reported amongst the 88 cases were abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. It was found that 19/88 cases were reported within 30 days of starting Januvia and 53% of the cases resolved once they stoped taking the drug.
What Are The Symptoms Of Pancreatitis?
According to MayoClinic the signs and symptoms can vary depending on which pancreatitis you are afflicted with.
Acute pancreatitis signs and symptoms may include:
- Upper abdominal pain
- Abdominal pain that radiates to your back
- Abdominal pain that worsens after eating
- Rapid pulse
- Tenderness when touching abdomen
Chronic pancreatitis signs and symptoms may include:
- Upper abdominal pain
- Losing weight without trying
- Oily, smelly stools
What Severe Side Effects Are Associated With The Use Of Januvia?
There are several severe side effects that RXlist recommends that you should be on the look out for when taking Januvia, these side effects include:
- Weight gain
- Short of breath
- Severe skin reaction: fever, sore throat, swelling in face or tongue, burning in eyes, skin pain followed by a red or purple rash
- Pancreatic Cancer
What Are The Less Severe Side Effects Associated With The Use Of Januvia?
According to RXList many people who use Januvia do not experience any serious side effects. The less severe side effects that may occur with Januvia include:
- Runny of stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Back pain
- Joint or muscle pain
- Stomach Pain
Januvia & Janumet Pancreatitis Lawsuits
Our dangerous drug attorneys can help if you or someone you care about suffered as a result of taking Januvia or Janumet. Lawsuits have been filed against the drug manufacturer by both patients and their families seeking compensation for injuries caused by this dangerous drug. You may be entitled to a settlement.
Our No-Fee Promise on Januvia & Janumet Cases
You can afford to have our great team of lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started
- We pay all case costs and expenses
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls are always free
Start Your Januvia or Janumet Claim
Our Januvia and Janumet lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-4722 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing Januvia and Janumet lawsuit claims.