SILVER SPRING, Md. — Atorvastatin is now the best-selling drug of all time, and nearly one in 10 Americans are on a regimen that includes the brand name drug, Lipitor, or its generic equivalent.
Researchers developed Lipitor beginning in the early 1980s by a team of chemists at Warner-Lambert; the Food and Drug Administration approved the drug in 1997. Lipitor is one of several statins that suppress the cholesterol-producing HMG-CoA liver enzyme. It quickly reached new height in terms of worldwide sales, with a volume eclipsing $12 billion a year at one point. Today, as it is a Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme drug, the government covers most of Lipitor prescription costs. The drug is very powerful, and many patients see a cholesterol reduction of up to 50 percent with a 30 mg per day dosage.
Lipitor patients should avoid grapefruit juice, because it increases the amount of medicine in the bloodstream and thus increases the risk of side effects.
Lipitor Side Effects
Atorvastatin is also an effective preventative drug for people with type 2 diabetes. Ironically, and researchers are still trying to determine why, the drug also causes diabetes in up to 22 percent of patients.
That being said, doctors have identified what they believe to be some risk factors for Lipitor-induced diabetes:
- Females Over 65: The HMG-CoA enzyme may operate at different levels for men and women, but the drug is equally potent in both bodies.
- Additional Cholesterol-Lowering Medication: Sometimes these drugs remain in the bloodstream even after dosage stops, so there may be some overlap.
- Alcohol Consumption: Alcohol is a very powerful drug that is processed through the liver, and the additional chemical component may upset the body’s balance.
Even one of these risk factors may significantly increase the chances of developing Lipitor-induced diabetes. Other common side effects include confusion, muscle pain, constant diarrhea, and severe stomach pain leading to loss of appetite.
Our Lipitor Lawyers Can Help
Our dangerous drug attorneys can help if you or someone you care about was injured after ingesting Lipitor. Lawsuits have been filed against the dangerous drug makers by both patients and their families seeking compensation for injuries caused by the dangerous drug. You may be entitled to a settlement.
Our No-Fee Promise in Lipitor Cases
You can afford to have our great team of lawyers on your side. When you choose us, it literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started,
- We pay all case costs and expenses,
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement, and
- Phone calls are always free.
Start Your Lipitor Lawsuit Claim
Our dangerous drug lawsuit lawyers will help you file your lawsuit. To get started, you can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page, or
- Call (866) 280-4722 any time of day to tell us about your case.
We will listen to your story and answer your questions. If you have claim, we will start immediately.
WARNING: There are strict time deadlines for filing lawsuit claims.